Make it happen







 

Calais, France » Entertainment » Attractions

  

The Six Burghers Monument ( Wikipedia )

Les Six Bourgeois is Calais' most famous landmark. Sculpted by Rodin in 1895, it depicts the heart wrenching story of six men who surrendered themselves to England's King Edward III to be hanged, in a hope that their city will give its freedom from the English rulers. The event, which took place on 4th August 1347, was avoided due to the King's wife - Queen Philippa de Hainault who requested her husband to spare the lives of the six French freedom fighters. But the city continued to be under the rule of English till 1558. To commemorate the event the statue was inaugurated on 3 June 1895.

Address: Place du Soldat Inconnu 62100 Calais, France

  

Calais Town Hall ( Visit Site )

The Town Hall of Calais is one of the important landmarks in Calais mainly because of its architecture and historical importance. The construction of the Town Hall belfry started in 1911 with an aim was to merge the towns of Calais and Saint-Pierre. Its construction was interrupted during World War I, but finally completed in 1925. A brick and stone building in a Neo-Flemish style, the spire of the belfry tower stands 75 metres tall from where an electric bell rings every hour. The Town Hall structure is so distinguishing that it can be seen from miles around.

Address: Place du Soldat Inconnu 62100 Calais, France
Opening Times: 8:00 am - 12:00 pm and 1:30 pm - 5:30 pm, Closed on Sunday

  

Calais Lighthouse ( Wikipedia )

The Calais Lighthouse stands at a towering height of 51 metres and has a spiral 271 step staircase that leads to the lantern. Climbing the lighthouse, may seem a little to tiring, but the amazing breathtaking view of the Calais town and the English Channel, is a once in a lifetime opportunity. If lucky and the sky is clear you many also get to see the White Cliffs of Dover which are 26 miles away.

Address: Place Henri Barbusse 62100 Calais, France
Opening Times: Wednesday to Monday: 10:00 am – 12:00 noon and 2:00 pm - 5:30 pm
Weekends: 10:00 am – 12:00 noon and 2:00 pm - 5:40 pm
Tel.: +33 3 2134 3334

  

Église Notre-Dame de Calais
( Wikipedia )

Depicting a mixture of Flemish and English architectural styles, Église Notre-Dame ("The Church of Our Lady") is a Roman Catholic parish church that dates back to the 12th-14th century. It is significant not only because it is the oldest church in Calais, but this is a place where General Charles De Gaulle married his Calaisian wife Yvonne in 1921. The imaginative mindsets of Flemish masons and English architects have given this structure an out of the ordinary Flemish-Gothic look. Renovations in church are still ongoing from the time it was severely damaged during World War II.

Address: Rue de la Paix 62100 Calais, France
Tel.: +33 3 2197 0094

  

Calais Beaches

The sandy beaches of Calais that run along the Opal Coast, and it offers a panoramic, uninterrupted view of the English Channel. Take advantage of the infinite sports and recreation opportunities provided at the beach such as Cycling, Water-sport, Yachting, Sailing, Wind Surfing, Canoeing, Kayaking, Sand Yachting, Jet Ski, etc. If you want to stay relaxed, the beaches are un-spoilt and a great place to sunbath or take a walk. There are also plenty of restaurants along the waterfront.

The Citadel ( Visit Site )

The Citadel in Calais is a fortification built by Philippe Le Hurperel, Lord of Boulogne in 1929 with the contribution of citizens of Calais, in order to protect their city from attacks. It initially served as the residence of Philippe Le Hurperel, Lord of Boulogne and then in later years served English rulers such as King Edward II till 1558, when finally the city got its freedom. When the city got amalgamated into France, the French King renovated it into an extravagant fortress with the construction of a citadel designed by Vauban.

Fort Nieulay ( Visit Site )

When Calais was just a marshy land, it was accessible by only one road that came via River Hames. The Nieulay Bridge, which connected Calais with the west was protected by a small fort that was designed in such a way that it could flood the land in the front of the town, in case of any enemy attack. This place made it impossible for the enemy to enter the city. But due to surprise attacks by the French in 1558 and the Spanish in 1596, the sluices could be opened and the city came under siege. The Spanish modified the fort, thus making it stronger and less vulnerable against attacks. Today, the fort's ruins are part of a beautiful park.